Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Woods In Winter

When winter winds are piercing chill,
And through the hawthorn blows the gale,
With solemn feel I tread the hill, 
That overbrows the lonely vale.


O'er the bare upland, and away
Through the long reach of desert woods,
The embracing sunbeams chastely play,
And gladden these deep solitudes.


Where, twisted round the barren oak,
The summer vine in beauty clung,
And summer winds the stillness broke,
The crystal icicle is hung.


Where, from their frozen urns, mute springs,
Pour out the river's gradual tide,
Shrilly the skater's iron rings, 
And voices fill the woodland side.


Alas! how changed from the fair scene,
When birds sang out their mellow lay,
And winds were soft, and woods were green,
And the song ceased not with the day!


But still wild music is abroad,
Pale, desert woods! within your crowd;
And gathering winds, in hoarse accord,
Amid the vocal reeds pipe loud..


Chill airs and wintry winds! my ear
Has grown familiar with your song;
I hear it in the opening year,
I listen, and it cheers me long.

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


Just wanted to share a few photos my husband, Joey took at work earlier in the week. The temperature was around 20 degrees two nights in a row. The first night they left the sprinklers in the spray fields running and they found this winter wonderland Tuesday morning. So pretty...:) Love how the ice looks on the palmettos in the last picture...they are on the left side in the background...long spiky leaves. I wish I could have seen it myself, but I was working. I'm glad he took pictures to share though. Tomorrow night we are supposed to have our coldest night so far this year, so I guess it will be in the teens. Better bundle up! I do hope to have my electric fireplace next year so I can cozy up to a "fire" on these cold nights. I pray each of you has a blessed and beautiful upcoming week. 
Until next time.....


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics, and how lovely to see ice in FL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just happened upon your blog for the first time..the name of the blog caught my eye because my grandmother's name was Willie Mae. How funny! Love the icy pictures..so pretty but glad I can look at pictures rather than experience it first hand! Brrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Pics! It does look like a winter wonderland.
    Best wishes for the beginning of a new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vicky what beautiful pictures your husband took! Stay warm and have a good week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husband certainly knows how to please a blogging wife! Beautiful photos of the ice against that azure sky. The poem was a perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful words for beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking time to leave such kind words for me. Your sweet comments make my heart smile!
I always reply to comments by e-mail, so please make sure you are not a no-reply commenter! Blessings!

Recent Posts.....